Medicare Card Scams
In 2018, Medicare updated the Medicare card from containing a person’s Social Security number to a random identifier that includes numbers and letters. That was the last time the card was updated and there is no plan to update it again.
The card from Medicare is a paper card that has a blue banner on the top, a white middle, and a red banner on the bottom. However, you can print your own in black and white.
Report potential Medicare card scams if:
- Someone calls you claiming:
- You are getting a new, plastic Medicare card.
- Medicare is switching to a card with chip in it.
- It’s a new year so you need a new card.
- You need a black and white card.
- They need your Medicare number to see if you have received your new one yet.
- They need you to verify your Medicare number so they can confirm you have the correct Medicare card.
Report Suspected Fraud
To report suspected fraud, click here.