What if I lost my Medicare card?
  • Call 1-800-Medicare (1-800-633-4227).
Who can I contact if I have questions about Medicare but I don’t suspect Medicare fraud or abuse?
  • Contact your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program:
I was billed for a service I didn't receive. What do I do?
  • Contact the health care provider or the company that issued the bill.
  • Contact your state’s Senior Medicare Patrol (select your state on the left and click "search").
What if I gave out my Medicare number to a stranger?
  • Contact your state’s Senior Medicare Patrol for help (select your state on the left and click "search").
  • Alert your health care providers so they can be aware of suspicious activity. 
  • If you notice suspicious activity on your statements, contact your health plan or provider and ask for a correction.
What if I suspect Medicare fraud?
How do I know if a phone call is legitimate?
  • If the call is from a charity, tell them to send you information in writing. Be sure to add that you do not give money to strangers over the telephone.
  • If they are selling something and you are interested, ask for information in writing. If this is a one-time opportunity, tell them you do not make decisions over the phone.
  • Ask the caller for his or her name, company name, and callback number. You can call back later to verify the legitimacy of the source and the offer.
  • Most importantly, LISTEN for these red flags: 
    • Are they asking for credit card information?
    • Are they asking for banking information?
    • Are they asking for personal information like your Medicare or Social Security number?
    • Do they say the offer is only good today? A real company will give you time to think and verify.
    • Do they know something about you but ask to verify that the information is correct?
    • If any of these are happening, HANG UP!
Who can I call about consumer scams that aren't about Medicare?
  • Report it to The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 877-382-4357 or online at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov.
  • Report it to local law enforcement.
What if I think my loved one is getting poor quality care?

Contact your state’s Quality Improvement Organization (QIO).

  • QIOs investigate these complaints, gather facts from all parties involved, and recommend action to help providers and suppliers improve quality of care.
  • To locate your state’s QIO, visit www.qioprogram.org/locate-your-qio.