If you suspect Medicare fraud, errors, or abuse, address it immediately by taking these steps:
- Rule out error: If you have questions about information on yours or your loved one's Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) or Explanation of Benefits (EOB), call the provider or plan and ask for an explanation.
- Get help from your SMP: If you are not comfortable calling the provider or plan or if you are not satisfied with their response, your local SMP can help you:
- Identify and report fraud schemes and deceptive health care practices, such as illegal marketing or billing for services that were never provided.
- Refer complaints of potential fraud and abuse to the appropriate entity, who can intervene. For example:
- HHS Office of Inspector General (OIG)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- State attorneys general
- Local law enforcement
- State departments of insurance
- State Medicaid Fraud Control Units (MFCU)
- Use the SMP Locator on this website to select your state and receive SMP contact information
- Click here to learn more about what SMPs do.
- Get help from other sources:
- Contact local law enforcement.
- Call 1-800-Medicare.
- Report directly to the OIG Hotline: 1-800-HHS-TIPS (800-447-8477).
Report suspected fraud to the SMP
If you believe you have experienced Medicare fraud, errors, or abuse, please use this form to report it to the SMP. When making your report, please include your state and how you would like someone to contact you. Please DO NOT put your Medicare number, Social Security number, or any confidential information in this form. Thank you.